Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Writing Status

OK, so what have I written. Well, my first novel was a middle grade fantasy novel entitled, The Awakening. My second novel is a lower middle grade novel, The Emerald Ring. Both would love a publisher. Right now I am writing a so far untitled Teen novel.

I figure what kind of blog would this be if I didn't discuss my own progress. So, here goes.
 I started my current novel over a year ago. I was actually writing the Emerald Ring. And like many writers, right in the middle of that work, I had a brilliant idea for another book. The first pages flowed right out of my fingertips. It was so exciting. I must have written 40 pages before fizzling out. And no, not in one day. It took many days. I love the beginning of a book. You get to introduce your character and really flesh them out. You start their adventure and wonder where they're going to end up. I did have a rough sketch in my mind about the entire plot, but often I just start writing and see what adventures they run into along the way.

Then I hit a block. I tend to get bored and need to work on something else. So, I continued working on the Emerald Ring. I found switching back left me fresh to work on new ideas. It really helped to take a brain break. Anyway, I finished that one up and still hadn't worked anymore on my Teen novel. I thought about it often, but just couldn't get interested in writing more.

Then a few weeks ago I went to my SCBWI meeting. On the way home in the quiet of the car I figured out what was wrong. I didn't like where the story was headed, that's why I couldn't get beyond where I'd stopped. I needed to change the plot. Voila, the writer's block ended. Now I know where I'm going and have started writing again. Of course, Murphy's Law also stopped in for a visit. After just a week of writing a virus attacked my desktop. I'm still waiting to get it fixed. I'm using my laptop for minor stuff, but I can't stand typing novels on it. The keys are way too sensitive. So, now I'm just itching to get back to writing and I can't. Ugh. But I am taking the time to imagine scenes in my mind.

So, that's where I'm at now. I'll let you know more when I get back to the writing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment