Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Nelson Literary Agency

I've mentioned it before, do your homework. So on my quest to find an agent I am starting at the very beginning. Using the resources at hand, the SCBWI, aqentquery.com and other Internet sources, I've started my hunt.

The first agency I have been drawn to is The Nelson Literary Agency.
Check them out at www.nelsonagency.com . As I searched for agents that had similar interests as I do two people popped up from the same agency. This is very exciting because it means that agency as a whole would feel very comfortable.

The first person to pop up was Kristin Nelson., President and lead agent. I immediately smiled when middle grade and fantasy showed up as two of her interests. (at agentquery.com:)
  • particularly interested in Literary (with a commercial bent), commercial mainstream, romance, Young Adult/Middle Grade (must be high concept and have a commercial bent), science fiction , fantasy, and women's fiction
  • For non-fiction, she only handles memoir and narrative non-fiction
Next I checked out what books and authors she works with. I was happy to see Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series. My husband just got me the first three books for Christmas and I read one a day for three days. Can't wait to get my hands on the next one. She also has many young adults books and romances.

Next, why Google of course. Low and behold she is a supporter of the SCBWI. How can I resist that? So I head over to SCBWI.org and dig around some more. Membership has its privileges :) I like everything I see. The last and most important step - I head over to the agency website and check out the agency. She also has an awesome blog listed at the site. I spend some time flitting around, there are some good ideas for query letters in the FAQ section. So, I signed up to follow the blog. I like good advice.

So, I've spent the weekend working on a query letter to send. VERY IMPORTANT- they only accept email queries. query@nelsonagency.com . I'm hopeful I've found a good agency to connect with.

The other agent I came across at the Nelson Literary Agency is Sara Megibow. She too has an interest in children's lit and fantasy. I was able to find info about her from the SCBWI and I swear I've heard her speak at a convention. I'm going to have to look through my old notes. She loves The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - hello- can you say ditto. I look forward to hearing back from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment