Sunday, March 7, 2010

Advice from Meg Cabot

I was reading through the latest "the Writer" magazine when I ran across something that filled my soul with joy.

In the article, 15 million copies & counting, author Melanie Florence asks Meg Cabot what advice she has for aspiring children's writers. Her answer was wonderful:


"I think that it's really important to block out all the stuff you hear about the overnight successes. It's really important not to give up because I got so many rejection letters. One every day in the mail for four years, and that's over 1,000..."

Meg Cabot, the author of The Princess Diaries series, the Allie Finkle series, and many many more, got major rejection letters. Her advice continues:

"If you really love what you do, you should just be doing it because it's what you love and not because you're waiting to get this big check in the mail. ... So I guess the biggest thing I'd say is, don't give it up just because people are saying you suck."

Touche! As my quest for an agent turns up many a rejection, this advice is manna from Heaven.

1 comment: