Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Murmur, murmur

Delving into research is like stirring up a hornet's nest. I am still hunting for an agent. My quest has turned online. Using the agent directory of the SCBWI has been helpful, but often times no website for the agency is listed and I have to go hunting on google.

This is where the hornet's appear. You'd think just typing in the name of the literary agency would pop up at least their website, but no, instead I get everything but. I get tons of blogs by other people. Some are helpful, like Hilary's I mentioned before. But other's are just a bunch of murmuring.

So that you don't become one of the masses of bloggers out there complaining, let me state this fact loud and clear- Agents and Editors are very busy people. If you hear back within a week you're lucky. Usually the time is from 2 to 6 months!!!! That's right, basically forever. It totally sucks, those my Ode to My Mailbox in my last blog. But you have to expect it. I've had editor's take up to a year before. Wow.

I find it most interesting that bloggers out there discredit agents and editors for taking so long to get back to them, if at all. (Many company's are now saying they'll only reply if interested, ugh). Often bewares pop up against these agents/editors. They are totally legit agencies too. Maybe it's because I'm a member of the SCBWI and have gotten to meet with several agents/editors, but I totally respect the time it takes, I just hate it. No complaints though. Many agents/editors tell you straight out they'll take a long time. So, don't think it's a bad agent/editor if they take forever, they're just busy doing their jobs and squeezing our queries in.

No comments:

Post a Comment