Sunday, August 15, 2010

Learning From Rejection


I knew I was on to something with this current book. How? Because of the quality of the rejection letters that came back. I know that sounds ironic, but it is true.


Normal rejections range from "not right for my list" to "not for me". Sometimes you just get the form letter. But with Cleopatra's Legacy- The Emerald Ring, things are much different. The rejections coming back are handwritten notes or typed on personal letterhead. They mention things about my book being truly interesting or of a high concept.

One agent wrote an entire paragraph about how he loved my plot idea and pointed out the plot twists he enjoyed. It wasn't until the end that he said no. UGH! But, the letter gave me hope and encouragement. Agents and editors were noticing my book. Now, I just need to find the right one.


Another example arrived this weekend. A publisher (sorry, no names; but well known) sent me a great rejection. Two full paragraphs about how they liked my sample. I had only sent them several chapters, but still the letter tells me the query went up to the review committee, into the publishing department and finally the acquisitions department. All the way to the top on the first few chapters! Yahoo! They write, "It is obvious you have invested a considerable amount of time and energy into this project. The writing is very well done and the idea is intriguing." Unfortunately at the end they passed. But, the lesson learned is that this manuscript is promising. I put the work in and people are taking notice.

Sure, rejections suck, but I'm given hope by the type of rejections coming my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment