Friday, May 6, 2011

Book Review- Gossip From the Girls' Room by Rose Cooper





Welcome to Middle Grade Book Review Friday!

Today my book is Gossip From the Girls' Room by Rose Cooper. It is published by Delacorte Press. It rings in at 198 pages.
I actually won this book on Twitter from Random House Kids, yahoo!



The story- Middle school student Sofia attempts to gain popularity by posting gossip on a blogtastic blog. She goes to all sorts of extremes to be in the right places at the right times. With the help of her BFF Nona, Sofia is able to remain anonymous and spread rumors throughout the school, especially about her arch nemesis- uber rich Mia. However, Sofia learns her lesson when her own blog comes back to bite her.



My thoughts- This book made me laugh out loud. The voice of Sophia is very authentic. In fact, I felt like my daughter was standing next to me the whole time rambling on and on and on. The story is cute, with lots of fun pictures that add extra content to the story. I love that the book layout was designed to look like a journal with lines and spiral binding.



I think this is the perfect book for younger readers, 8 - 12 years. The pictures break up the pages allowing reluctant readers a chance to feel accomplishment. Besides a bit of gross out humor, there is no bad language or violence. Kids will laugh their way through Sophia's predicaments and empathize with her family life, school problems, and inner thoughts.



The next book in the series, Rumors from the Boys' Room is due out Spring 2012.



2 comments:

  1. This book sounds perfect for my daughter and I love books with a great voice. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. I need to laugh out loud more often!

    ReplyDelete