Friday, October 7, 2011

Book Review - Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Wolfsbane, the sequel to Nightshade, is a YA paranormal adventure written by Andrea Cremer and published by Philomel.


The Story- At the end of Nightshade, Calla Tor is kidnapped by the Searchers and separated from her pack of wolves. When she now awakes she is surprised to find herself caught up in the world of her sworn enemies. With Shay by her side she begins to learn the truth about who she really is and what the future holds.


Teaming up with the Searchers, she tries desperately to rescue her pack from the Watchers, her previous owners. By using their nasty magic and torture they turn half of the pack away from her, drawing her into a trap.

Of course, there is also the love triangle between Calla, Shay and Ren. Calla is still torn between the two, loving them both.

My Thoughts- My thoughts bounced around a bit. I enjoyed the story, but wished there had been more action. The first ¾ of the book is semi slow; however, it is during this time that all the mysteries from book one are revealed. So even though you are waiting for Calla to go after her pack, you get the satisfaction of having your questions answered and the full arc of the series revealed.

The last part of the book reminded me of book one, tense and full of action. I always liked the Ren and Calla romance, but this book focuses on Shay. I was so sad when Calla finally fought her way to her pack, only to have her loved ones betray her. Because all the mysteries behind Shay are revealed, his character is not as intriguing and I couldn’t wait for Calla to catch up to Ren. The horrors that happen to Calla’s pack make you feel awful. The author did a good job of making the reader feel the drama without too many gory descriptive details.

I’d say this is an in between book, a bridge so to speak. Book three should be all action as the trilogy concludes and I can’t wait to read it. I’m still voting for Ren.

Buy it now from Amazon, click on the banner below.

2 comments:

  1. I almost bought Nightshade when I went to the book store yesterday. I've heard a lot of great reviews but I hate the cover. It's strange! haha. I often find the middle book is very middle-y (lol) in mots YA series.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the middle book usually is a let down. I'm always happy to be surprised though.

    ReplyDelete