Let's get to know Windward Publishing, an imprint of Finney Company. "Windward Publishing, founded in 1973, merged with Finney Company in 2001. Windward offers nature books on popular subjects including shells, fishing, mammals, sharks, birds, and more. Windward Publishing is home to most of Finney Company's children's books."- http://www.finneyco.com/about.html#windward
Regarding fiction, they handle young readers, middle grade and YA. The subjects lean towards adventures, animals, nature and the environment. Check out Storm Codes by Tracy Nelson Maurer http://www.finneyco.com/stormcodes.htm
Most of their books appear to be nonfiction. They are looking for young readers, middle readers and young adult books that deal with animals, careers, science and nature. They also publish activity books and young adult textbooks. Check out, Eye on the Iditarod: Aisling's Quest by Aisling Lara Shepherd and Hope Irvin Marston. http://www.finneyco.com/eye_iditarod.htm
They are open to submissions. For fiction, send a query. For nonfiction, submit an outline/synopsis with 3 sample chapters. Here's info straight from their website- Please make sure the materials you submit are easy to read. Submissions must be typed. NO HANDWRITTEN, ELECTRONIC, OR E-MAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
For each manuscript, please submit the following:
1. Query letter describing your manuscript, background, and qualifications.
2. Brief (one page or less) overview.
3. Table of contents, introduction, and at least three chapters.
4. Short description of the proposed market(s) for your submission.
5. Self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) for our reply and anything you want returned - we cannot be responsible for the return of manuscripts for which postage has not been provided.
Submit to: Finney Company, 8075 215th Street West, Lakeville, MN 55044
Buys stock photography.
Accepts MS/illustration packages.
Publishes books 6-12 months after acceptance.
50% of books from 1st time authors.
Author's payment is negotiable by project.
Advances are offered.