Saturday, March 31, 2012

Author Interview with Marissa Burt

I introduced you to Marissa Burt's Middle Grade novel, Storybound, yesterday. As an added bonus I had the chance to interview her. Check out the post and pick up her book, it comes out on Tuesday.

First, here are all the links:

1. How long did it take you to write Storybound and then how many years to get it published?

It took me about a year off-and-on to write Storybound.  The querying, submission, and exclusive revision process was another year or so, and then it's been about two years from HarperCollins' acquisition to publication day.  Adding it all up, it will be almost five years from when I first started writing the book to when it will actually be in stores.

2. What were your favorite books as a young reader?

What a question for a book lover!  L. M. Montgomery's books are still some of my favorite reads.  I loved fantasy books, so I read and reread J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert Jordan, Tad Williams, and Terry Brooks many times in middle and high school.  Sherlock Holmes was another favorite, as was Calvin and Hobbes.

3. How is work going on #2 Story's End?

Story's End is off to copyedits.  Hooray!  I have to tell you that I just had a first look at the cover for Story's End. The fabulous illustrator Brandon Dorman and the design team at HarperCollins Children's have done another breath-taking cover.  I can't wait for you all to see it!

4. What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

Revise boldly.  Don't be afraid to take risks as you work your way through your manuscript a third, fourth, and even fifth time.  Cutting a character or deleting a scene can take your story in new and interesting directions.  There's no scarcity of creativity.  That's the wonderful thing about creating a world - you can always write something new into your story.  Besides, the magic of the computer is that no revision is absolutely permanent.  ;)

5. What is your guilty pleasure food that you eat while writing?

Hmmm.  Ice-cream is my favorite treat.  When I was writing Storybound, Ben and Jerry's was a nearly constant companion.  But Haagen Daaz classic vanilla was with me during Story's End.  Now that you mention it, I think it might be time for a little ice-cream break now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment