Friday, April 6, 2012

Book Review- You Can't Have My Planet, But Take My Brother Please by James Mihaley

I have an incredible tween book to recommend and review today. The title, You Can’t Have My Planet, But Take My Brother, Please, is written by James Mihaley and published by Feiwel and Friends. It hits shelves next week on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.

The Story- Twelve year old Giles has a freak encounter with an alien realtor and his clients, who want to purchase Earth! The aliens hand him an old lease signed by Adam and Eve, and tell him that because humans have abused the planet, they are being evicted.

Now it is up to Giles, three friends of his choice, and his alien lawyer named Tula, to save the planet. How? The intergalactic court has issued a challenge. If Giles can clean the city of Manhattan in 24 hours, humans can stay.

It’s a huge job, and can only be accomplished with major alien help. With the aid of fabulous aliens and fantastic robots, Giles sets out to pass the test.

My Thoughts- This is a great, original tween novel that kids will love. It gave me feelings of a Hitchhiker’s Guide. The aliens described in the book are unique creatures that I’ve never heard of before. Kids will love all the humor and zany antics that ensue.

The plot is straight forward and easy to follow, but with lots of creative twists. The author, as Giles, does impose himself into the reading a bit often, but children will probably think that’s funny. Plus, his character is well brought to life. You feel Giles struggle as the younger brother and you also understand his hero complex when he begins using alien tech to clean New York. Like any typical teen, he takes things a little too far and can’t seem to focus on what really needs to be done.

I highly recommend this book for ages 8 and up.

As an added bonus- the author put together a small clip on YouTube to promote the book. The main character is Stanley, a talking alien parking meter. It’s hilarious and I encourage you to check it out for a big smile.


Come back tomorrow for my interview with James Mihaley

3 comments:

  1. This sounds fun, especially if it is like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great book, I loved it. I especially loved the ending, as well as Stanley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely worth the read!

    ReplyDelete