Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blog Tour- Charlinder's Walk by Alyson Miers

Welcome to the Charlinder's Walk Blog Tour hosted by Novel Publicity.
Wanna win a $50 gift card or an autographed copy of Charlinder's Walk? Well, there are two ways to enter...
  1. Leave a comment on my blog. One random commenter during this tour will win a $50 gift card. For the full list of participating blogs, visit the official Charlinder's Walk tour page.
  2. Enter the Rafflecopter contest! I've posted the contest form below, or you can enter on the official Charlinder's Walk tour page--either way works just as well.


  3. The Story: In 2012, the Plague ended the world as we know it. In 2130, Charlinder wants to know why.
    The origin of the disease remains a mystery. Their ignorance of its provenance fuels a growing schism that threatens to destroy the peace that the survivors’ descendants have built. Unwilling to wait for matters to get any worse, he decides to travel to where the Plague first appeared and find out the truth—which means walking across three continents before returning home.
    Charlinder has never been more than ten miles from home, has never heard anyone speak a foreign language, and he’s going it alone.
    He survives thousands of miles of everything from near-starvation to near-madness before he meets Gentiola. By then he’s so exhausted that the story she offers to tell seems like little more than a diversion…until he hears it.
    Nothing could have prepared him for what he learns from her, and no one ever told him: be careful what you wish for. The world is a much bigger place than Charlinder knew, and his place in it is a question he never asked before.
    My Thoughts: I do like end of the world novels, and this one is of the plague variety. Even after 100 years Charlinder's town only has around 150 people. That's realistic, good move. I also like books where the main character heads off on a quest, beating the odds to find out the truth, and Charlinder's walk takes him all over.
    Now about the writing, I feel this book was a little long and wordy with its paragraphs. Sometimes it is hard to keep going when you don't see a break in the writing. Also, I really felt the author's voice coming through on the pages instead of the character's. It felt preachy. Perhaps an editor or book doctor could make the writing tighter. I can see where the author was going, and the story line itself is interesting, but a bit more character work is needed.
    a Rafflecopter giveaway

    6 comments:

    1. Thanks for hosting this tour, Dorine. I'm sorry to hear Charlinder's Walk wasn't exactly for you. I'm reading it right now and am really enjoying it--I'm up to the part right before Charlinder sets off with his sheep :-D

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for the honest review. As a librarian, I appreciate full disclosure in reviews. I like the theme of this book. I seem to have read a number of post-apocalyptic stories recently and I have enjoy them. The topic piques my interest.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you for the comments. I really love books. I try to be critical and complete.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Lovely review, Dorine! I do appreciate how you include both the storyline, and your HONEST thoughts — both critical and positive. That's hard to come across in many reviews these days.

      Stephanie

      ReplyDelete
    5. Great review, it's always refreshing to see some honest comments.

      I overall enjoyed this book but I will say I found the beginning to be slow and at times I was ready to just stop but thankfully it picked up as Charlinder began his quest and I found myself staying up late to see what might happen to him next :)

      ReplyDelete