Sunday, May 27, 2012

Book Review- The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan



Book 3 in the Kane Chronicles, The Serpent’s Shadow, just hit book shelves this month. Written by New York Times best-selling author, Rick Riordan, it is a middle grade fantasy novel.

The story- Brother and sister Carter and Sadie Kane are back. They have both been studying and teaching the path of the Ancient Egyptian gods, preparing for the final battle against Apophis. But things aren’t going their way. They are being attacked by other magicians, their good friend Walt is about to fade away and the sun god Ra is still a cookie eating, senile old man. To make things worse, Apophis is destroying all the nomes that are still in league with Carter and Sadie, and their uncle Amos.

In a desperate ploy, Carter and Sadie come up with a plan to capture Apophis’ shadow. But, the only way for them to succeed is to trust the ghost of a psycho magician and hope to not get killed. They have only three days to catch the serpent’s shadow, or the world will end.

My Thoughts- Wow, a great ending to the trilogy (or is it?). Carter and Sadie are both beloved characters full of personality and depth. The story is again told from both of their points of view, allowing the reader not only an inside peek at their persona’s but also the ability to be in two places at one time.

There is plenty of action, monsters and battles. I love Rick Riordan’s works. Once you pick one up you can’t put it down, and this is no exception. The reader never quite knows what is going to happen and is along for a great ride.

On a personal note, I wondered how Riordan was going to solve the Walt/Sadie/Anubis love triangle. The way he does it is very interesting, and not what I was expecting. All I can say is, “Lucky girl, you get your cake and can eat it too!”

This is a wonderful middle grade read for both boys and girls. I recommend the whole trilogy.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review! I've read the first two and can't wait to read this one! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great read, and I see a surprise new series coming.

      Delete
  2. I have yet to read a book by Rick Riordan. I've got to get myself in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way that Rick concluded the series, and hope that he will change his mind and write more books featuring Carter and Katie.

    Cath Brookes (Skagway)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning conclusion to an excellent series! I could not put this book down. This is a great, clean, and entertaining read for readers of any age. I highly recommend this author and this series! Especially entertaining if you are fan of Ancient Egyptian Mythology! I will definitely read this series again!

    Mariz
    Get Best Info for Bear Viewing trips

    ReplyDelete