Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Journey... 2 1/2 months in.


Well, I signed my contract over two months ago, and I’ll tell you what’s happened so far. The first three weeks were a flurry of activity. Cedar Fort Books asks that new authors send several items right after the contract is signed. I wrote and sent my public bio, I came up with questions for school clubs, I sent an electric and hard copy of my book, came up with cover ideas and physical descriptions of my main characters, and also wrote out a detailed marketing plan for the marketing team.


Along with that I splurged on a professional photographer to take my headshots for the book. I was ready to head off to Wal-Mart, but my wise husband told me to spend the money and get it done professionally. Great advice! One of the shots is to the left. Here is the link to where I got it done-http://www.portraitsbytheresa.com/#

My marketing plan was harder. The publisher basically wants to know what I am willing and able to do to promote my book. My list was long, I am willing to do tons, and wouldn’t you be? I listed conferences and book signings, authors I know for book blurbs, blog ideas, and other fun stuff. I also had to ramp up my website. Marketing was willing to give me a free website for a year, but since I already have one- www.dorinewhite.com, I opted out and just asked them to review the one I had. They liked it, but said I needed to do some more work. So now it is a work in progress. I can’t wait to add the cover of my book (when it is ready) and also a “Buy it Now” button. So Cool!

But now, it is June, and I am waiting for the next step- to be assigned an editor. My acquisitions editor has been great and answered all my questions, but 2 months later I am biting my nails waiting to hear who my editor is. So new time publishees here is something I didn’t know. The process doesn’t happen fast, it is almost like waiting to hear back from a query. Whoever my editor is, has to read and do edits on the manuscript before I hear back, and since I’m not the only writer on their list, it takes time. My information package from Cedar Fort says it’ll take up to 3 months after they receive my hardcopy.

So I wait, but full of excitement! I’ll let you know what happens next!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Dorine!!! I'd be over the moon with excitement, too ... but it also sounds a little daunting lol

    I hope your *new-book* journey goes beautifully for you <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting, Dorine! Living your dreams! I'd like to see a post about how you started writing, what inspired you, and what was your road to publication like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm,I think I can come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't finished my book yet but I wonder which publisher would be the best choice. Thanks for blogging about your publishing journey. It's helpful and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great, Dorine - congrats! Sounds like you're totally on top of everything. :)

    ~mara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best. Right now just waiting and blogging :)

      Delete