Friday, July 6, 2012

Soulbound by Heather Brewster


I just finished a great book, Soulbound, book 1 in the Legacy of Tril series, by Heather Brewster. It was one I hadn’t heard about and happened to see at the book store and paused. Glad I did, it was fantastic.

The Story- This is a fantasy novel about a world at war. The heroes are the Barrons (fighters) and their Healers. The enemy is an immortal Prince and his evil monsters, the graplings. Kaya was born a healer, but kept in hiding by her parents. Now seventeen, her identity is discovered and she’s forced to enter Shadow Academy, the school for Barrons and Healers.

Kaya discovers that all healers and barrons are soulbonded at birth, but since she was kept hidden, she never met her soul mate, and he died in a previous battle. Now, she is bonded to a barron named Trayton, a handsome, good and strong fighter. Together they begin a romance.

But, then there is Darius, the weapons instructor, who seems to have bad feelings towards Kaya and avoids her at all costs. Until, Kaya tricks him into training her to fight, something forbidden to healers.

My Thoughts- I love these types of books. A young girl who wants to be more than society says she can be, and secretly fights for what she wants. A school that teaches gifted students and has secrets. And of course, the love triangle, which is just developing at the end of the book. Sigh, I read it straight through.

I hope other readers will discover this series and word about it leaks out, I think it deserves a spot in the YA fantasy market.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a very interesting book! I just did some research and this is the same author as the Vladimir Tod books. While that series isn't huge, it does have a decent following, which may give this series a boost and a better chance at being discovered by a larger audience. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! When I picked it up I recognized the name.

      Delete