Monday, August 27, 2012

Aliens on a Rampage by Cleve Barrett Smith




I have a great middle grade book to tell you about, it is Aliens on a Rampage by Cleve Barrett Smith. I reviewed the first book, Aliens on Vacation, last year. Click here to see the review.

The Story- David is back at his grandma's Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast for the summer. The first person he meets is Scratchull, a shifty alien repairman, that David immediately distrusts, but whom everyone else thinks is great.

Nobody believes David when he tells them Scratchull is up to no good. In fact, the tables get turned and everybody blames David for some serious incidents, and he gets the boot. The only one who will stay by his side is his new alien dog, who eats everything it sees. Can David save the ones he loves from evil alien slave traders?


My Thoughts- Another hit. This book is so funny. I love the bizarre aliens that visit Earth and the strange things they do to fit in. I couldn't believe that everyone was so quick to dismiss David and believe Scratchull, it was very frustrating. The author does a good job building on this tension. By the time David gets the boot, you're beating your head.

I think the book does a good job starting where book one left off. It is well written, and a fun read. It is a little slower than book one, but I think it's just because the foundation is now laid and the story is able to develop more now. I loved the ending. It feels great for David to be justified, and the alien dog, too funny!

Totally worth the read.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series before, sounds like a lot of fun though!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about this. It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleve is a new author, so it's good to get the word out. His series is great and was picked up by Disney Hyperion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read anything by this author yet! This sure sounds like a fun and wild series. I bet it is a book kids will love. I look forward to reading it.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not familiar with this series. Sounds like a fun read for sure. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story is well-written, it is enjoyable. I love the characters and the concept. I liked the first book a little better but cannot wait for book three to see what adventures they will have next at the Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast! So pick up the book and be prepared for some surprises along the way.

    Mariz
    Look at Powerstroke Injector

    ReplyDelete