Saturday, August 18, 2012

Beautifully Broken by Sherry Soule

Beautifully Broken by Sherry Soule is a YA paranormal published by Moonlight Publishing.

The Story- Sixteen-year old Shiloh Ravenwolf is a heritage witch. She is also the thirteenth daughter born in the family line. From a young age she begins to see shadows, but with a cold mother and a father who doesn't want to know, she is on her own.


Shiloh takes a summer job at the local hunted mansion, Ravenhurst, and meets handsome Trent Donovan. Romance blossoms, but ghosts block the path to true love. Plus, there's the problem of the demon picking off children from the town's original founders. Is Shiloh the only person who can save the town?

My Thoughts- There is definite intrigue surrounding the town Shiloh lives in. From the very beginning you wonder what kind of curse the town is under, and what is stalking and killing the youth. I do have to say that this book was a bit too dark for my tastes. But, for those who like the creep out factor, you'll probably love it. I found the demon tense and threatening, and several of the deaths were vivid, the brain splattering kind.

Shiloh's character is well written, but often times I felt she was that friend you have that never shuts up. Things often got way too wordy and I just had to skip ahead. Plus, I didn't think she took an active enough role in the beginning of the story. Her friends are dying, but she just reads some grimoires. It's not until over half way through the book that she begins training.

Overall, a dark paranormal that will interest older YA readers.


2 comments:

  1. I appreciate you taking the time to read and write this review of my novel. I realize that we all have different tastes in literature, and others may really enjoy my brand of storytelling.

    I hope your followers will decide to check out my thrilling, new YA series.

    Happy reading,
    ~Sherry
    Check out My Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was highly recommended to be me by another author friend, and it certainly did not disappoint! I immediately connected to the main character, Shiloh, and got hooked into the action from page one. The plot, with all its twists and turns and creepy details, kept me turning pages well into the night. I blame Ms. Soule for bags under my eyes on several occasions.

    Echelon Philadelphia Security Service

    ReplyDelete