Sunday, August 26, 2012

Monet Paints a Day by Julie Danneberg

Time for another great picture book! This one is Monet Paints a Day by Julie Danneberg, illustrated by Caitlin Heimerl. Published by Charlesbridge, this PB is so wonderful, I just had to share it.

The story revolves around a letter written to his fiancee Alice, while he was on vacation in Etretat, France. The book follows Monet as he tells about his day and what he painted, eventually The Waves at the Manneporte, 1885. All through the book and then at the end, are facts about Monet and the impressionist style of painting.


This book is a work of art all on its own. I loved the story, and the illustrations brought Monet to life. I do wish that at the end of the story had been a full page illustration of the real Waves at the Manneporte, instead of just a 4 X 5. But, that is my soul criticism, and a minor one at that. You need to experience this book for yourself. Wow!

6 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I just came across your site and it is really lovely! I happily followed you and will enjoy reading your updates. You can find me over at Rainy Day Reads, www.rainydayreads.com It would be great if you could stop by and I would love to have a fellow book lover as a new follower.
    Christine x
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great educational book for kids! I've been looking for fun ways to teach my kids about famous artists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book would be great. Besides being a day in the life book, it also has reference material at the end.

      Delete
  3. I love Monet's works and this book sounds delightful. I love the cover and the review. I can't wait to read this one. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete