Sunday, August 5, 2012

SCBWI 2012 LA Conference

I am having a great time at the Summer LA SCBWI Conference! I've spent my time listening to wonderful keynotes and attending workshops. Arthur Levine talked about what makes a book timeless. Author Tony Diterlizzi (The Search For Wondla) spoke about using imagination in your writing, and author Sara Shepard (Pretty Little Liars, The Lying Game) told us how to maintain momentum in a series.



So far the funniest speaker was author Dan Gutman whose talk was entitled, "How a dumbass like me got 100 books published". On the other hand, the most heart wrenching talk was given by Ruta Sepetys (Between Shades of Grey), who told us about Stalin's take over of Lithuania and his horrible prison camps.

Yesterday, I attended an editors panel, where 6 editors told us how to succeed in publishing (more coming in future blogs). Then last night, before the hippie hop dance party, Deborah Halverson told us about the condition of the children's market. Good news- kidlit sales are up!

This morning I am looking forwards to an agent panel, and later today is the book signing. Did I buy books! You bet :) Wanna see? Check out the photos below of my picture books and my middle grade/YA books. Shhh! don't tell my husband.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome recap. I was so sad that I didn't get to go, though I would like to see Gutman's talk. I can happily say that I'm a dumbass that would like to get published as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I think we'd all love to get published, anyway we can.

      Delete