Thursday, October 4, 2012

Book Review- Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft by Jody Gehrman


Audrey’s Guide to Witchcraft, a YA paranormal by Jody Gehrman.

The Story- Audrey and her sister Meg live with their mom in a normal neighborhood. One morning Audrey has the feeling that something bad has happened to her mother, and low and behold, her mom doesn’t come home that night. Instead, a stranger named Sadie shows up, claims to be a cousin, and says their mom sent her to babysit.

Audrey knows things aren’t right. And when strange things begin happening to her, she has no one to confide in but Sadie. Luckily, Sadie is a witch, and so are Audrey and her mom. Unfortunately, something evil has risen and is after Audrey, and might already have the mom.

My Thoughts- I always like stories when a normal nobody turns out to be some sort of legacy, in this case, a powerful witch. I know that is a plain plot, but I love it. Just think Harry Potter.

Audrey is a fun character who discovers deep secrets about herself that are unpleasant and life altering. She has a strong passion to help those she loves, which proves a bonus when other “witches” feel that humans are worthless.

The love interest is Julian, and I love his character. Why? Because I’m pretty sure there is a hidden secret there that the author has not yet revealed. He seems to be human, but he has a direct connection to Audrey. Even Sadie thinks Audrey and him are soul mates. But how is that possible? He’s a human. Hmm? I’ll have to wait for book 2.

Nice plot twists and a smooth story line. I think this series has a lot of potential and can’t wait to read more. One small thing, the author sometimes uses words that are a little more complex than the story needs. I'm not talking about BFF Bridget's made up words either. I think authors sometimes get carried away finding synonyms. And the recipes? I get the whole connection to baking, but really, I just skipped over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment