Monday, November 19, 2012

Book Review- The Undertakers, Queen of the Dead by Ty Drago


I have a fun middle grade to review today that is creepy and filled with zombies, but with a twist. Let's look at The Undertakers-Queen of the Dead by Ty Drago.

The Story-
Will Ritter believed there was no such thing as monsters, until one killed his father. Now Will is surround by an invasion of the living dead. They aren't your typical zombies either, they are actually dead bodies that have been possessed by other worldly creatures. Will and his friends are the only ones that can see the corpses true forms, and they form a group called the Undertakers- the earth's only defense against the Undead Queen and her minions.

My Thoughts-
 I really enjoyed this spin on zombies. Instead of the flesh eating kind, these other dimensional creatures are able to cast a glamour over the corpses so people can't tell what's going on. Will has his work cut out for him trying to convince those around him that they really are in danger.It's great how the Undertakers have formed a secret society living in the sewers, coming out to fight the dead with salt water guns.


As I read this book I kept wondering if perhaps there had been a book before it. Several times instances are referred to as if I should know about them, so I realized there had been a previous book. I looked it up and book 1 was Rise of the Corpses. And, I think there will be a third. The ending is great, with Will being the true hero, and supernatural beings stepping in when he's done all he can. I'm excited to see where all these plot twists are leading.

The characters are well written and as the reader you feel close to them. Especially when one is horribly wounded. The plot is full of action, and though there isn't a huge subplot, it's ok because the main story is meaty. Without the flesh eating and gory deaths, this book fits in well with the middle grade market. It's not too gross, but still oozy and gooey.

 

10 comments:

  1. That's great that this is a different take on zombies and that you can read it without reading book 1. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie. Normally I do read in order lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh no haha (@ seeing it's actually book 2). Realizing you're getting ahead of yourself! ;) It sounds like a really fun series though I love zombie books! Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock to find out it was number 2. It didn't say it had a previous book anywhere on the cover. I found out from goodreads.

      Delete
  3. That sounds so different and interesting. I have kind of a thing about zombies. As in, they freak me out. But there's a chance this wouldn't have the same yuuuuuck as a regular zombie book, so Yay! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a lot more tame than a normal zombie book. Makes sense, it is aimed at upper middle grade. It was refreshing.

      Delete
  4. I have the first book and am very excited to read it and the second one now! Thanks for taking the time to review it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. You'll have to tell me how the first one went ;)

      Delete
  5. I love this new take on zombies. :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Nice that it is not the same old, same old.

      Delete