Thursday, December 20, 2012

Author Interview- Debra Chapoton, YA book Sheltered


 Debra Chapoton has written the YA paranormal, Sheltered, which hit shelves in October. I had a chance to interview her about her book and writing process. Enjoy!

1. Tell me about your book in your own words.
When demonic forces descend upon the residents of a rooming house, five outcast teens use both human and supernatural powers to fight back.

High school junior, Ben, hacks into his step-father's real estate holdings and provides rooms in an old two-story house to various outcasts: a schizophrenic kid, an angry Goth girl, and a homeless girl who develops a huge crush on him. When Megan needs a place to live she comes to the rooming house with a secret and the ability to confuse and attract Ben.

One by one strange and mysterious occurrences stretch the teens’ beliefs in the supernatural. How they deal with demons, real and imagined, has tragic as well as redeeming consequences.


2. How long did it take you to write the book? What were the hardest obstacles to overcome?
It took about three months for the first draft and then four or five more for editing and rewriting. My first obstacle was that my husband had a heart attack just as I began the story and I had to put my writing on hold. The next complication was a battle with carpal tunnel syndrome. Now I wear braces every time I’m at the keyboard.

3. What was your favorite book growing up?
The Nancy Drew series.

4. What book out there do you love and admit to reading more than once?
Jurassic Park.

5. What is your advice to up and coming writers?
Learn grammar, study writing, read about writers, and set daily word count goals. Also, I’d advise new writers to get their work professionally edited. Be patient and don’t rush to self-publish.

Thanks Debra!

No comments:

Post a Comment