Thursday, December 27, 2012

Interview with Janci Patterson author of Chasing the Skip


I had the great opportunity to interview Janci Patterson about her YA novel, Chasing The Skip. Check out my previous review of the book HERE. Janci is offering up a copy to one lucky reader. Just fill out the raflecopter form below.

1. Tell me about your road to publication?

It was long.  I wrote my first novel in 2000, and then seven more books over the next ten years before I finally sold Chasing the Skip.  (Some of those books will never see the light of day.  They were practice novels, though I would have cried if I'd known that at the time.)  Now I've got several more unsold books written, waiting for someone to love them enough to pick them up.  It turns out that the road to publication doesn't really end with the first book--every book has it's own little journey, and some are more bumpy than others.  

2. What helped you along the way?

My writing community.  There is no substitute for writing friends--people who really get what it's like to deal with the constant rejection and endless march of bad drafts and better revisions.  I've been in an evolving critique group for nine years, which is invaluable both for improving my writing and simulating a co-worker environment.

3. Tell me about the book in your own words?

Chasing the Skip is about Ricki, a sixteen year old girl who goes to live with her father after her mother abandons her.  Dad's a bounty hunter, so they're on the road living in his travel trailer when Ricki develops a crush on the guy Dad is chasing.

4. What book inspired you as a child?

I read Fantastic Mr. Fox over and over when I was little.  I think I most loved all the mischief in it.  I was probably ten or so when I first read Dealing with Dragons, which was when I really discovered fantasy, and I read that whole quartet about a dozen times, too.  Then as a teenager I discovered the Alanna books by Tamora Pierce, and Alanna was the most awesome girl protagonist I had ever read.  I've always wanted to write girls like Alanna.

5. Do you have any advice for writers?

Write.  Write what you want to be writing and don't stop, even when you begin to hate it.  Finish.  Find a critique group and listen to their feedback.  Revise, revise, revise--even if it means writing whole novels over from scratch.  (I've done this more than once.  More than two or three times, actually.)  And then finish revising (this is important!) and send out your work.  The day you do, begin something new.  Write.  At every stage of a writing career, these are still the things you should be doing.

6. For fun, what's your favorite ice cream flavor? And what book would you want with you on a deserted island?

Jeni's Bankok Peanut, and my Norton Anthology of English Literature...mostly because it's long, but also because I love it.

Thanks Janci! For more information about Janci and her book head to her website http://www.jancipatterson.com/

a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. OoOoOo...I love the concept! This one is going on my wishlist. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete