Friday, December 21, 2012

Real Mermaids Don't Need High Heels by Helene Boudreau- book review and popcorn recipe


Today I have a special treat for everyone. Along with my review of Helene Boudreau’s Real Mermaids Don’t Need High Heels, the author is providing a yummy popcorn recipe for the holidays.

The Story-
Jade Baxter is excited to start her first year of high school. She’s wearing the latest fashions from her best friend Cori, and her boyfriend Luke is ready to show the world that they are a couple. Then life throws her a loop. Serena, a family friend and fellow mermaid, is going to be staying with Jade’s family, and Jade is her official “babysitter”.

Serena jumps right into school life, signing up for tons of clubs and the underwater hockey team, which Jade is forced to join. One day after school, Jade interrupts a meeting of adults and to her surprise finds out there are more mer-people in town then just her boyfriend and mom. Seems that the mer-council is up to no good and are going to force all the mer-people who live on land, back into the ocean.  Jade and her friends join the adults in trying to fight the council, but when all the other mer-people are hypnotized except Serena and Jade, things get sticky, and it’s up to Jade to save the day. Plus, everything is happening at the same time as preparations for the school’s fall folly dance, and Jade doesn’t even have a dress.

My Thoughts-
 This is a really cute book for young adults. I enjoyed reading about Jade and the other mer-people as they struggled to live on land. This is not the first book in the series, but it is the only one I’ve read so far, and I found it fun with just a slight hint of romance. In fact, we don’t even get a kiss until the end of the book.

The plot is straight forward and simple. Jade is a half mermaid, but all the other mer people are full bloods and can’t resist the mer-council’s recall. Jade must expose the evil of the council, and keep her friends and family on dry land where they have chosen to live.

I found that the end of the story went on a little too long after the action stopped. But, the ending is where the title of the story ties in. Jade and her friends wear flip flops to the dance, not high heels.

Another good thing about the book is that the mer-people aren’t stereotypical. They are just like regular people, so they don’t feel like made up creatures with a whole different story line. I think that if I could go back, I’d like to read the first two books in the series, not because I didn’t understand book 3, but because I think it would be fun to see the characters evolve.


Real Mermaids Festive Treats

Hi everyone! Jade here from Real Mermaids.

One of my favourite things about the upcoming holidays is the great treats we get to make and share. I love food so much, in fact, that I included a recipe for some of my favourite snacks in each of the Real Mermaids books.

My friend Cori and I thought we’d experiment a bit and ‘holiday-ize’ each recipe for you!

In Real Mermaids Don’t Hold Their Breath, Cori and I were totally desperate for a sleepover snack so Cori whipped up a batch of chocolate covered popcorn with some popcorn kernels, chocolate chips, a brown paper bag and a microwave. I’m not kidding—that girl’s a genius! We added some candy cane sprinkles here to give it that festive touch.

Chocolate Popcorn with Candy Cane Sprinkles

Supplies:
- brown paper lunch bag
- stapler
- measuring cup
- microwave

Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- pinch of salt

- 3 candy canes, crushed

Pour the popcorn kernels into a brown paper lunch bag then fold the top of the bag ¼ of an inch, twice. Secure with two staples (trust me, Cori Googled it!) at the folded part to seal the bag shut. Put the bag flat in the microwave and cook on HIGH for about two minutes. Each microwave is different, though, so you may need to adjust the time.

Meanwhile, add the brown sugar, chocolate chips, butter/margarine and salt to a microwave-safe measuring cup. Cook on HIGH for about 15 seconds or until the gooey buttery-chocolaty mixture is melted. Mix well with a fork then pour it over the popcorn.

Toss like a salad, add the candy cane sprinkles on top and munch away!

Happy treats and have a great holiday, everyone!

Love,
 Jade

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cute book, and that popcorn sounds divine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. When the boy scouts sell theirs I always get the triple chocolate.

      Delete