Wednesday, January 30, 2013

ALA midwinter Seattle 2013


I went to my first ALA convention this past weekend. It almost didn't happen.  Just a week ago I had surgery, and I've spent the week recovering, barely getting out of bed. Friday was the first day I even attempted to get out and drive. But, the ALA was in Seattle, and I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to check it out.

I knew I wouldn't be able to attend the whole conference, but I just wanted to see what it was all about, even if it was only for an hour. So, off I went., and it was perfect timing. I brought a small wheeled cart with me, because I can't lift anything. At first I felt funny, but when the ARC's started piling up, I was smiling. All the big publishing houses were present, and I got there just when they were giving out free ARC's of their upcoming titles. I was like a kid at Christmas. I not only filled up by cart, but my tote bag too- over 50 advanced reading copies! My review schedule will be booked for months :)


I took a picture of some my beauties. There are still several piles missing from the pic. I lasted just over an hour before I had to call it quits and head home. But, it was worth it. I checked out the ALA website, and their next conference is the end of June in Chicago. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to go, and get to all the workshops and speaking events.

Check out their website for more info- http://www.ala.org/

4 comments:

  1. aww hope you are recovering well from the surgery and those books are awesome! I would definitely be smiling like crazy!!

    hope you enjoy them all!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks amazing. What a fun experience. I hope you're recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved ALA in Los Angeles! I'm still reading through the ARCs I got there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the well wishes. I had a blast despite the surgery.

    ReplyDelete