Monday, April 22, 2013

Author Interview with Suzanne Selfors- The Sasquatch Escape



For Marvelous Middle Grade Monday I have an interview with author Suzanne Selfors. Her latest book, The Sasquatch Escape, was just released!

1. What is the book about?
The Sasquatch Escape is the first book in a new middle grade series called The Imaginary Veterinary. It's about ten-year-olds Ben Silverstein and Pearl Petal who become apprentices to the mysterious Dr. Emerald Woo, a veterinarian for imaginary creatures. The series will skew slightly younger than my Smells Like Dog series. We've added teacher pages to the back of each book, with science, art and history supplements they can use in the classroom to enhance the reading experience.
Book two, The Lonely Lake Monster, publishes in September. Book three, The Rain Dragon Rescue, will be out early 2014. And there are more in the works.
2. What is the arc for the entire series?
This was my first time creating a series. My DOG books turned into a series, but that happened organically and was not planned from the beginning. It's been an interesting experience because, while there is an overall arc, I must develop new mysteries, entice with new characters, while wrapping up earlier plot lines. It's like casting out fishing lines--at the end of the day you reel some in, you cast new ones out, and some you dangle off the edge of the boat.
3.How was it to work with illustrator Dan Santat?
I love Dan's illustrations. He pays very close attention to the text, which I appreciate. I met him in LA and we ate breakfast together. He's wise, witty and clearly loves what he does for a living. We'll be touring next week in Los Angeles together, visiting a few schools. On Wed. April 17th at 5pm you can see us at Mrs. Nelson's Book Shop and we'll be on a panel at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, at 3pm on the USC campus.
4. Anything else you'd think readers would enjoy knowing? 
Locally, I will be celebrating the series in the fall. On Sept. 15th at 3pm, Martha Brockenbrough and I will celebrate our Sasquatch books at Eagle Harbor Books on BI. And there will be more events to come.
Check out the book trailer here...
And my website page here...

2 comments:

  1. This book looks awesome! My husband is really into Sasquatch and is always trying to convert me into being a believer. ;)

    ReplyDelete