Sunday, May 26, 2013

Book Review- The Notebook of Doom by Troy Cummings- Rise of the Balloon Goons

* Don't forget to stop by the following Emerald Ring Blog Tour Stops! Darlene's Book Nook and Laurisa White Reyes-author

Welcome to Marvelous Middle Grade Monday! Today I am taking a look at a funny lower middle grade book that will be released in July, 2013. The Notebook of Doom- Book 1 Rise of the Balloon Goons, by Troy Cummings, will be published by Scholastic Books.

The Story-
Alex Bopp is new in town, and he has 3 fears: spending his first night in a new house, going to a new school, and making new friends. Turns out these three things are child's play when Alex discovers, The Notebook of Doom. The notebook describes all sorts of strange monsters, their fears, and their weaknesses. Alex can't believe what he's reading, until strange things involving balloon men start happening to him.

My Thoughts-
This is a really cute book. It states it is for k-2 readers, but some of the words and humor are older and I'm thinking more 3rd grade or up level. The author does a great job keeping the chapters small, usually just a couple pages, and the action rising.


There are also great hints at what is to come later in the series. I like the allusion that the old school is being torn down because it was dangerous (I wonder why?) and that the kids now go to school in the hospital. Alex's class is in the morgue.

I did not like that all the adults seemed to be either mean or idiots. I know kids think it is funny, but I don't like it.

The book is full of drawings, example pages from the Notebook of Doom, and funny side bits. Kids will like the flow and variety of the pages. Also, the bizarre monsters are hilarious. As an adult I enjoyed the wacky humor. I think early readers will love this book.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really cute. I bet my daughter would like it. Thanks for featuring it!

    ReplyDelete