Monday, May 20, 2013

Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George- Author Interview

* Don't forget to stop by today's Emerald Ring blog tour host- Bookworm Lisa.

Welcome to Middle Grade Monday and this stop on the Wednesdays in the Tower Blog Tour. I had the great oppurtunity to interview the author, Jessica Day George, about the new book and her life as a writer. Please enjoy!

1. Please tell me about the book and series in your own words?
Castle Glower is a magic castle: it’s alive, it can move things around, add rooms and take them away.  Princess Celie is the Castle’s favorite person, so whenever Celie needs help, the Castle obliges.  In the first book, TUESDAYS AT THE CASTLE, Celie and the Castle fought off intruders (like Home Alone, if the house were alive), and in the second book, WEDNESDAYS IN THE TOWER, the Castle is having problems, and Celie has to sort them out, all while trying to raise a very unusual pet that the Castle gives her.

2. What was your road to publication like?
Oh, getting published was easy!  I wrote a book one day and the next day a limo pulled up, filled with money, and … HAHAHAHAHAHA!  Sorry!  No!  The road to publication is paved with rejection letters and slippery with tears of despair!  I wrote seven books and spent nine years trying to get published.  I had two agents, one couldn’t sell my books, the other retired (and didn’t tell me, I found out from another author).  The problem?  I was trying to write for adults, big serious books where everybody died at the end.  I hated them.  Publishers hated them.  I finally decided to just let my hair down, and write about talking dragons (the kind of book I actually read!), and sold DRAGON SLIPPERS (and got a real agent) in less than nine months.

3. Can you tell me the environment that most inspires you to write?
Hotel rooms.  I have small children.  I fantasize about sitting in hotel rooms with nothing but my laptop and a tray of room service food.  

4. When you were a child what books did you love?
Robin McKinley inspired me to be a writer.  Diana Wynne Jones’ books were like precious treasures, whenever I could find one.  I read and reread Terry Brooks’ MAGIC KINGDOM FOR SALE until my copy came apart.

5. If you were trapped in a castle tower, what 3 books would you want to have with you?
Ack.  Er.  A LITTLE PRINCESS by Frances Hodgson Burnett, THE POWER OF ONE by Bryce Courtenay, and MEMORY, SORROW, AND THORN by Tad Williams.  (Okay, that last one was published as a trilogy, but that’s because it was too long to be put into one volume!  It still counts!)

6. Any advice for aspiring writers?
You must read, read, read!  New books, old books, books in every genre!  That’s how you learn how to write!

Thanks Jessica! You can read more about Jessica on her website http://www.jessicadaygeorge.com/

 And now a little about the book- "When her brother Rolf dares her to catch magical Castle Glower creating a new room, Princess Celie takes the challenge! No one knows the Castle better than she does. But as usual, the Castle has ideas of its own. Celie finds the new room first, and inside it is hidden a giant egg. Does the Castle want Celie to care for the egg and whatever creature it hatches? Celie hadn’t bargained for a pet, and caring for this one will prove to be especially tricky, once Celie and her siblings realize what else the Castle is hiding...This modern fairy tale classic—with shades of Hogwarts’s “Room of Requirement”—is sure to delight readers of all ages."


5 comments:

  1. Both books have been on my TBR. I think I'm going to move them up a bit on the list. Thanks for the inspiring interview, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help. I just love fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun interview. I especially liked Jessica's favorite place to write. I really enjoyed some of Jessica's books. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I know, doesn't a quiet hotel room sound like bliss?

      Delete