Monday, August 26, 2013

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger


I can't believe it took me so long to get to this book. With such a large TBR list, some things take forever. But right now I'm kicking myself because, spoiler- I LOVED IT! Here you go, Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger.

The Story-
Sophie Foster has a secret. She can hear the thoughts of other people. It is a horrible burden for her to bear, especially since she is also a gifted student, slated to finish college in her late teens. One day on a field trip she meets the first person she can't read! Fitz tells Sophie that she isn't human, and that she belongs among the fey. They've been looking for her for over ten years, but because Sophie doesn't have some of the common attributes of fairies, she'd been over looked.

Locked in Sophie's memories are dark secrets. As she learns about her range of powers, strange things begin happening to her and memories that aren't her own pop up. Soon Sophie realize that other fey will kill to find out the secrets, and that she is in mortal danger.

My Thoughts-

Okay, the brief story line above doesn't begin to express the great twists and turns in this middle grade fantasy. There are great subplots and the mystery of the secrets in Sophie's brain just keep pulling the reader deeper into the story. I love stories where I can't figure out the ending, and this is one of them. The author does an amazing job of leaving clues that intrigue and beg for more.

The characters are also strong and well realized. Sophie is full of power, and yet humble. She is forced to leave her human family behind and settle into a new world with strangers. Her longing for home affects her character perfectly. And the fact that she is place with guardians who lost their own daughter several years earlier makes the story rich and adds great fodder.

Fitz himself is a good guy, and one of two male fairies that come to Sophie's aid. I like that there are hints of friendships and the lead-ins to romance for the future. A "love" triangle is set up and ready to cause some tension in the second book.

This is one of the those books that I stayed up to finish. Honestly, the only criticism I have is the cover. The scene that is displayed is a tiny part at the end of the book, and didn't really happen that way.

 Loved it! 5 stars.

3 comments:

  1. I am with you on the five stars! Have the arc of the sequel queued up on my ipad...very excited to start reading! thanks for sharing the book love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have Exile waiting too. I'm going to skip it towards the front. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the cover is fine and some cover artist actually advise against using things that happen in the book on the cover. Look at twilight's original cover. Bella wasn't going around holding out apples, it was just decided to use a symbol of temptation which worked.

    Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I believe Shannon is a true talent and her books deserve all the praise they get. Exile will come and we'll get to see what happens next whether it's Sophie's journey or the love triangle that interest the readers.

    ReplyDelete