Saturday, September 21, 2013

Banned Books Week Hop


Welcome to this stop on the Banned Books Week Hop. Up for grabs I have the latest Captain Underpants Book #10- Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers. To enter fill out the rafflecopter form below, and don't forget to hop over to the other blogs.


Why? Because it is the number one banned series in America! Who knew? I don't believe in banning books, but I do believe in age appropriate books. When I looked at the top ten ALA 2012 banned book list I had to agree with most of the books on there. In fact, my 8th grader was supposed to read 2 of them for summer reading and I said no. Why? Because it is my right as her mother. They were not appropriate reads until she is older, but that is my choice, not a libraries. Banning books is wrong. Responsible parenting is right. So in good conscious I am picking the one my son loved to read when he was a kid- Captain Underpants. It got him reading when nothing else would.





a Rafflecopter giveaway

21 comments:

  1. I guess I would have to say responsible parenting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely responsible parenting! I don't think anyone should tell anyone else what they or their family should be allowed to read. That is for each individual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely on the side of responsible parenting! Obviously not all books are appropriate for all ages, but it's up to the parents to determine that for their own children (and not anyone else's).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely responsible parenting! Thanks for participating in this hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Responsible parenting and book ratings similar to movie ratings. I enjoy reading YA books but I do find it ridiculous the content in some of these books. Beside a sweet clean read is a completely inappropriate book for a young girl. It would be nice if they were rated and an explanation given as to why it received that rating .sex, drugs, language etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea, but I don't think publishers will go for it.

      Delete
  6. Responsible parenting! I read the banned book list and thought most of the books shouldn't have been on there. I DO think libraries have a responsibility too. What school would carry a book for Quickie Sex or Sexual Positions? At a local library that is fine. At a school, not too smart. If we all do our jobs in using common sense, there should be no reason for banning books

    ReplyDelete
  7. It should always be responsible parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Responsible Parenting, of course. Banning books is a terrible idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Responsible Parenting, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was truly flabbergasted to see that Captain Underpants was on the Banned List. Thank you for choosing a book from this series as your giveaway prize!

    Jane at Jane Reads

    ReplyDelete