Monday, October 14, 2013

Interview with author BK Bostick- Huber Hill and the Staff of Cibola


Welcome to Middle Grade Monday! Today I am taking part in the blog tour for Huber Hill and the Staff of Cibola by BK Bostick. It was my pleasure to interview the author.


Please tell me about the overall series and how this book fits into it?
Huber Hill and the Golden Staff of Cíbola is the third and final installment of the Huber Hill series. The stories revolve around a group of young kids who initially set off to find an old Spanish treasure hidden in the mountains near their town (book one). As they search for the "Dead Man's Treasure," they inadvertently end up getting involved with an international, sinister organization called the "Brotherhood of Coronado," bent on acquiring the world's lost treasures. In book two, the kids travel to Spain to confront this group and find out their ultimate goal is to locate an ancient relic called the "Golden Staff of Cíbola." This mystical staff hidden deep inside a lost city, possesses the power to turn anything it touched to gold.
What was your road to publication like?
It was a long one! I've always loved to write but never thought seriously about publishing until my mid twenties. It took me a couple of years to finish my first novel due to work and family demands. After finishing, I shopped the manuscript around for eight or nine months and received lots of form letters before finding a buyer. In fact, upon having my manuscript returned for something like the tenth time, I chucked it in the recycle bin. It stayed there all night. The next day, I retrieved it from the trash and decided I'd send it to one more place. They ended up publishing the book and series. I'm so glad I didn't leave it in the trash!

What inspired you to become a writer?
I was teaching fifth grade and saw how certain books reached reluctant readers. My main goal was to write a story I would have enjoyed as an eleven or twelve year to try and reach some of these readers.
Do you have any habits while writing? (music, snacks etc)
Ideally, I like to have a big Mountain Dew, some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, soft playing instrumental music, and the room to myself. Of course, with a 2 and 1 year old, this rarely happens, so I pretty much write whenever and wherever I can. While I am typing this on the kitchen table, my son keeps climbing up and trying to pound the keyboard and take my food.
What advice can you give aspiring writers?
My advice would be to believe in your story. If you write the story you want to tell and are happy with it, someone else will be too. It may take some time to find the right publisher, but they're out there somewhere. When the offer comes, read the contract carefully, but keep your expectations realistic. Don't expect to make the NY Times Best Seller list win a Newberry. It takes most authors many years of publication to reach that kind of level. It may feel that your journey has ended upon being published, but in reality, it's just beginning. Be ready to work harder than ever, face negative reviews, and stretch yourself thin to keep up with everything. Is it worth it? Absolutely!


2 comments:

  1. I liked that the author is thinking about her reluctant readers. Her path to publication gives a true perspective on the tough road to getting a book published. Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Publication is a tough road. All the rejections pile up.

    ReplyDelete