Monday, December 2, 2013

Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby


I just read the best Middle Grade book and can't wait to share it with my readers! It is Icefall my Matthew J. Kirby, published by Scholastic.

The Book- (back cover)
 Trapped in a hidden fortress tucked between towering mountains and a frozen sea, Solveig, along with her brother the crown prince, their older sister, and an army of restless warriors, anxiously awaits news of her father's victory at battle. But as winter stretches on, and the unending ice refuses to break, terrible acts of treachery soon make it clear that a traitor lurks in their midst. A malevolent air begins to seep through the fortress walls, and a smothering claustrophobia slowly turns these prisoners of winter against one another.
Those charged with protecting the king's children are all suspect, and the siblings must choose their allies wisely. But who can be trusted so far from their father's watchful eye? Can Solveig and her siblings survive the long winter months and expose the traitor before he succeeds in destroying a kingdom?
My Thoughts-
Fabulous! I loved this book. At first I put it aside thinking it might be boring to read about a story where you stayed in one setting only, but I was wrong. This book blew my mind. The author does an amazing job keeping the tension high even though the setting is stable. It is a sign of a skilled author that keeps a reader engaged while the characters are trapped.
My favorite character is Princess Solveig. She is an amazing girl who loves her family and struggles with not being good enough for her father. She just wants to have something special to offer, like her older sister has beauty. Solveig's journey involves learning the truth about facades and the inner meaning of trust and honesty. The entire cast of characters is well fleshed out and the mystery of the traitor is engaging.
This is a must read for ages 8 and up! 5 stars!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too! But then I passed it on to my daughter and she couldn't get interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, sounds interesting and the cover looks great. I'm intrigued by Andrea's comment and hope to try this one out on some young readers myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave the book right to my 13 year old daughter and she read it in one day. You never know what will hook a reader and there's no harm in trying.

      Delete