Monday, June 23, 2014

The Catacombs of Vanaheim by Richard Denning


It's Middle Grade Monday! Today I am following up with a fun series from the UK. To read my review of the first book, Shield Maiden, click here. The second book in the series is The Catacombs of Vanaheim.

The Story-
Anna's village defeated the evil Kendra and her dark elves, but now they are on constant alert, wary of anyone coming through the Bifrost gate. It is decided that Anna and her friends must travel to Vanaheim, home of the Vanir, beings of magic, in hopes of discovering a way to protect their village.

But when they reach their destination, Kendra is already there and the Vanir are prisoners. Kendra gives the children a horrible choice, enter the deadly catacombs and bring her back their treasures or die. With no other options, the children go where no one but dwarves have gone before.

My Thoughts-
I really love these books. Maybe because I'm from the US, I haven't been taught a lot of Norse mythology, but with the movie character Thor so popular, now I can get a glimpse at the history. Anna is a wonderful character who is smart and witty. She leads her group with determination and is able to keep them going. Really though, it is the entire group together that works well. They each have their skills and are able to overcome the obstacles of the catacombs together. One of my favorites is Wilburh, he is learning what magic is all about, but because he doesn't understand it on a basic level, he believes it is failing him. This story is as much Anna's story as Wilburh's, as he struggles, learns and grows.

I enjoyed the catacombs and the obstacles faced. I always think books are fun that involve games or puzzles that the characters have to solve. Plus, it takes all of the characters to think of a way to get out of their deal with Kendra. I can't wait for the next book. 4 stars!

4 comments:

  1. I love these kind of books but have not read this one. Thanks for featuring and I will search this one out for sure even though my TBR list is about ready to explode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norse mythology is rare as a basis for series, but probably should not be overlooked. Thanks for telling me about this.

    ReplyDelete