Friday, July 25, 2014

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

Oh Man, I picked up a great YA book at the store- The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson. The first thing you have to know is that I'd had one of those weeks. A week where I'd picked up at least 5 books, started reading, and then put them down. Nothing caught my interest. I was in a slump. Then, I picked up The Rithmatist and bang! I inhaled it.

The Story-
Joel wants to be a Rithmatist, someone who uses chalk to bring drawings to life. The only problem is that he missed his chance and is now relegated to being "normal". Even so, he spends all his time studying Rithmatist strategy and technique. His break comes when he is assigned as a teacher's assistant to an older Rithmatist. Soon he is learning more than he ever dreamed, if only he had the power to act on his knowledge.

Suddenly Rithmatist students at the school start disappearing, and many believe them to have been killed. Joel's professor is tasked with uncovering clues, and so Joel is brought into the struggle. He believes himself to be safe, but when the killer realizes Joel is involved and making headway, things get ugly.

My Thoughts-
I was so excited when I picked up this book. The idea/plot was unique and intriguing and I couldn't wait to read something new. I guess after having reviewed so many books I'm becoming way more picky and noticing that many stories are just the same plots rewritten. But, not this book. Yeah!

The writing is excellent and the action exciting. There is the whole mystery about solving the case and also about Joel's own personal history. I was shocked when Joel was retested. What! There's got to be a second book because I'm dying to know what happened.

A must read! 5 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for telling me about this book, Dorine. I'll bet my grandson would really like it. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete