Monday, August 4, 2014

Middle Grade Spotlight

I like to look around at what's new and sometimes a book catches my eye. For MiddleGrade Monday I am spotlighting one of those books, Smile by Raina Telgemeier. Published by Graphix, it was just re-released last week, but it was one I'd not seen before.

Blurb- Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth. What follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly.











I'm putting this one on my to-be-read list. Falling and breaking your two front teeth while in sixth grade, oh my gosh, I can just feel her pain.


4 comments:

  1. This one also caught my eye some time ago, and the premise is intriguing. I'll push this one up on my TBR list thanks to your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Middle school is hard enough without the added misery of broken front teeth (and an earthquake, etc)! This sounds like an angst-ridden story that might help tweens see that THEIR lives aren't so horrible. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. This one is going on my TBR list. It sounds terrific. Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always exciting to find a gem I haven't read yet!

    ReplyDelete