Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Popular Banned Books of 2013

It's banned books week and I was checking out Huffington Post's article on what has recently been banned. I wasn't surprised at some, like Fifty Shades of Grey, but some others might surprise you. You can check out the full article here. I've said this before, I do believe in age appropriate reading, but not banning books. Parents- you do have a duty here to do your homework.

1. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian
2. The Bluest Eye
3. Looking for Alaska
4.(tie) A Bad Boy Can Be Good For a Girl
   Bless Me, Ultima
   The Hunger Games
   The Perks of Being a Wallflower
5. (tie) Captain Underpants... Poopypants
    The Color Purple
    Fifty Shades of Grey
    The Things They Carried

And the reasons given from ALA




2 comments:

  1. I am ceaselessly amazed by people trying to ban books. A few years ago, the school board at my nephew's school in a small town in Colorado not only pulled Bless Me, Ultima from the school library, but actually publicly burned copies! Of course, every kid in town wanted to read it then, people fought against the decision, and, if I'm not mistaken, it can now be found in the school library again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel parental awareness is the key.

    ReplyDelete