Friday, September 19, 2014

Tabula Rasa by Kristen Lippert-Martin


Welcome to YA Friday! One of my favorite days of the week. Today I am looking at the new release from Kristen Lippert-Martin, Tabula Rasa. And for my readers- Egmont USA is giving away a SIGNED copy. To enter fill out the rafflecopter form below. If you don't see it click 'read more'. To check out the entire blog tour and see all the stops click here.

The Story-
Sarah believes that she once committed murder. To live with her conscience she allows herself to undergo procedures that will wipe her memory. As a tabula rasa, a blank slate, Sarah believes that she will be a better person. But, during her last procedure something goes wrong and the laboratory where she lives is attacked by soldiers.

Fleeing into a blizzard, Sarah attempts to escape, only to end up trapped with a computer hacker that has plans of his own at the laboratory. Together, Sarah and Thomas attempt to avoid the elite soldiers, only to end up stuck back inside the lab building in the basement with "failed" test subjects. As more time passes from missing her last procedure , Sarah begins to have memories, memories that don't involve crime and murder. Who is she? and why do the soldiers want her specifically dead?

My Thoughts-

I love themes like this. Sarah can't remember her past and believes that she is undergoing experimental procedures to help mankind. Then the memories begin and voices sound familiar. Who is she? Why is she there? And why do the soldiers want her dead? Such great questions, and you have to read the whole book to figure them out.

The story also contains a blossoming romance. Sarah and Thomas go through the feelings of first crush with the potential of a relationship. I think this side plot was handled nicely and with the short timeline, appropriately.

The only thing that pulled at me was the motive of the villain, Hodges. Her way of dealing with things is way extreme and I just couldn't see someone doing the things she did. Overall, the story is fun and adventurous. 4 stars!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

4 comments:

  1. I love the looks of this cover! It was definitely eye catching. I saw this one drifting around Netgalley but I do like the idea someone waking up and needing to find out what they might've done. It's a shame the motives didn't quite add up. But apart from that, great review!

    Check out my review: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/09/the-legacy-blog-tour-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very fresh take, and I do love the cover. Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was absolutely AMAZING!! Angel is now one of my favorite tough girls. Would love to have a signed copy!

    ReplyDelete