Monday, September 15, 2014

The Seventh Mountain by Gene Curtis

Welcome to Middle Grade Monday. Today I'm talking about a book I found for my nook, The Seventh Mountain by Gene Curtis, a middle grade fantasy. And hey- it is free right now on nook and kindle, which is what first caught my attention.


The Story-
 Twelve-year-old Mark Young has a destiny. Unbeknownst to him he is a Magi, a descendant of magical persons that fight evil and seek to help all mankind. Before he was born, Benrah (the book's evil villain), tried to kill him. Now old enough to learn the truth, Mark is taken to the Seventh Mountain where he is trained to be a Magi. He makes close friends and together they overcome several perils and fight for good.

My Thoughts-

 I read other reviews about this book before I bought it, even though it was free. I didn't want to waste my time. Most of the reviews mentioned that is was a Harry Potteresque book with a more Christian tilt. I love fantasy/adventure books, so I gave it a go. I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed the story. It's sad that every book that involves, magic, youth and a school is immediately considered a Harry Potter knock-off. Most aren't, it is just a common archetype.

The story is fun and unique. The Magi fight for good and having been doing it through the ages. There is a lot of action, mystery and puzzles to solve. The one thing that I do have to be critical about are the point of view switches. The author jumps into character heads willy nilly and there is no rhyme or reason. This is a pet peeve of mine and this author goes to an extreme. He wants you to know what everyone is thinking, so you pop in and out of different characters. Ugh, tell the story from one pov or at least one chapter per pov.

The author also moves through some events really fast, I would have liked some expanded details during certain events.

Luckily, the story is great and I can recommend it. 3 stars! I'm already on book 3.

6 comments:

  1. I love to hear about books that are new to me. I share in your POV opinion but would give this one a go anyway. Thanks for featuring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the story kept me going despite the pov.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a fantasy reader. I may be the only person on the planet who only read book 1 of the Harry Potter books. But thanks for the review. I'll bet my grandson would like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 1 lol. That's why there are so many books out there. Tons for all readers.

      Delete
  4. I was really intrigued by this premise. I love books about the Magi. I loved Alphabet of Dreams by Susan Fletcher. And it's great that there's fantasy out there with a Christian twist. Although I hate POV jumps too!
    Thanks for the feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this one then. It's free right now too.

      Delete