Friday, October 24, 2014

Author Interview with Samantha Allard- Dark of the Moon

Welcome to YA Friday! Today I am interviewing author Samantha Allard, the writer of the new YA paranormal, Dark of the Moon.

The Interview- Samantha Allard

1. Tell me about your road to publication

This isn’t the first time The Dark of the Moon has been published. It was actually one of the first stories I wrote under my penname Ella Grey. So this copy is a heavily revised and expanded edition. When I got the rights back to the story I knew there was only one place that I wanted to send it to. I’ve had three stories published with Breathless Press and they have a sister company Lycaon Press who handle Young Adult stories. My editor with Breathless suggested an editor for Lycaon and I sent it to her. The rest as they say is history. 

2. Can you tell me about Rachel Valentine and how you see her evolving in the series? 

Originally The Dark of the Moon was an eshort series and it was specifically aimed for younger readers. I chose to write paranormal young adult because that has always been a genre I’ve enjoyed reading. Rachel Valentine, my heroine was based on strong female leads, Sydney Bristow and Buffy. Rachel is strong, fearless and is the daughter of a government agent. That means she has a skill set different from most sixteen-year-olds. I see her getting more in touch with her shifting abilities as the series progresses. 

3. What helped you the most in your quest to become a writer and what is your writing schedule?

Networking. I originally had a site on Myspace and through that I met Nick Valentino. Nick write steampunk and was published through Echelon Press. He was the one who suggested me submitted to his publishing company which I did.  I really can’t stress enough how important it is to get your name out there. Social networking is a very important tool for writers these days. 
My writing schedule is pretty normal I guess. My son is currently at school so when he’s there I can usually be found in front of my computer. When he goes to bed I get back to writing.  

4. Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?

1. Have a strong presence online. A blog. Facebook. Twitter. Goodreads. All of that helps reader to find you.
2. Get used to rejection and don’t take it personally. 
3. Read and write every day. It doesn’t have to be great numbers. A few hundred one day might become a thousand another day.
4. Always trust your editor. They only want to make your story better and having a second pair of eyes on your manuscript helps.  
5. Any future paranormal projects in the works? I intend to finish Rachel’s story and I definitely have a few genres I’d like to explore. Paranormal fiction will always be one of my favourite genres. It’s the genre I grew up reading and one I think has a lot of potential. 

The Book- Dark of the Moon

(blurb)
 Rachel Valentine isn't your average girl.
Three years ago her brother disappeared, and Rachel went off the rails quite spectacularly. Now she is trapped in a nunnery because she accidently blew up half the science department at her old school. One night she sees her long-lost brother in the crowd behind a reporter on television. There's no mistaking who he is, but getting her parents to believe her is a different matter. It leaves her one option: break out of the nunnery and travel to London to track him down.
She's about to find out that things are never that simple and there are some secrets that are impossible to believe.







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interesting interview. I'm always interested in the journey to publication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It is so hard to get published that it is nice to read other's triumphs.

      Delete