Monday, October 27, 2014

Pray For Pilchuck


A tragedy struck my community on Friday. Many of you will have heard about it. I heard about it when my husband came home  mid-day and rushed into the house. I hadn't picked up the phone that morning, having let the machine do its thing.


 His first words were that our daughter was okay, but there'd been a school shooting." My world dropped out from below me. It was my worst fear ever. We immediately got into the car and headed to where the news reported that students were being bused. The roads were blocked and traffic was a mess. The whole time I waited for my daughter to call on the cell phone again. She'd been able to get a call off to my husband just when they were locked down. We listened to the radio as we drove, and heard the details emerge. The names of the students injured and killed were not being released, and I worried about who they were.

How could this happen? How could it happen in my city? All those children. Over 2,500 attend Marysville Pilchuck High School.

Parents- give your children big hugs and love them with all your might. I thank God that my daughter decided on that one day not to eat in the cafeteria, but to eat outside on the grass. Teachers- thank you for your bravery and for looking after our children while they are away from our sides. First Responders- thank you for being prepared and putting yourselves in place as shields for our children.

I dedicate this post to the children killed and injured. I don't know what went through the shooter's
mind, but I pray for his soul. I pray for my community that we will come together and not place blame on others, but heal as one. Please Pray for Pilchuck. Three young students are still in critical condition. I believe in the power of prayer. I also believe love is stronger than hate. MP Strong. God bless.





10 comments:

  1. I cringe with sadness every time a story of this type surfaces. I know all too well of the days, months, and years of healing that take place having gone through several in my district. Stay strong and know that others care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to the family of the shooter, as well as of the victims. By all accounts the kid was accomplished, trustworthy, kind, a leader, etc- nobody could have seen this coming (and indeed, it rocks our notion of what a school shooter is), and all of the kids at school are going to feel this for a long time. Thank goodness your daughter is okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. You're right everyone who knew him said he was a great kid.

      Delete
  3. I can't even imagine! My heart goes out to the families. It's a sad situation. Lots of prayers for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this tribute. I live in Oregon now, but I graduated from Marysville-Pilchuck, so even though I wasn't worrying about my own children, my heart was torn in two hearing about this happening at my old high school
    I'm praying for the community, but will be praying for your daughter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sad time. I am glad your daughter is all right, although she certainly has been affected by this event.

    ReplyDelete