Monday, November 10, 2014

The Long Haul (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #9) by Jeff Kinney


While I was thinking about what book to spotlight for MMGM, I remembered that this week my son had brought home his Scholastic book order. When I walked in the door that evening, my son was sprawled out on the sofa reading, and he stayed that way for hours. What book had caught his attention? The anwser- Diary of a Wimpy Kid- The Long Haul. So, what better book to highlight than the one my son read straight through. That is a HUGE endorsement alone.

The Book- Blurb-
A family road tip is supposed to be a lot of fun...unless, of course, you're the Heffleys. The journey starts off full of promise, then quickly takes several wrong turns. Gas station bathrooms, crazed seagulls, a fender bender, and a runaway pig-not exactly Greg Heffley's idea of a good time. But even the worst road trip can turn into an adventure-and this one the Heffley's won't soon forget.

My 10-year old son's thoughts-
He couldn't put it down. He thought the book was "kinda" funny. Some of  his favorite parts were when Greg and the pig had to go potty, so they run to the gas station. But, the pig won't go. So when they get back to the van, Greg puts the pig on his little brother's training potty and then it goes pee.

He also thought it was funny that they had to keep the little brother on a leash because he kept trying to run away. My son says that all the family had to help the little brother in some way. But, the one instance he liked the best was when the little brother tries to drive the car, but his feet won't reach the pedals, and he almost crashes into shopping carts.

He gives it two thumbs up and says other kids will like the book too.



5 comments:

  1. I thought Jeff Kinney had exhausted every story line possible for young Greg Heffley, but forgot there had never been a family trip. This makes a perfect setting and one kids will relate to. Enjoyed hearing the insights from your son. Honest and to the point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg. I love to hear what kids actually think of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids sure love these books. I read some of them and liked them, but I think I'll leave them to the kids for the future. My grandson will surely be reading this. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm sure your grandson will love it.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a fun take on the family trip. We've got a cadre of Wimpy Kid fans at the library. Will need to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete