Monday, January 12, 2015

The Tuttle Twins and the Miraculous Pencil by Connor Boyack

Welcome to Middle Grade Monday. Today I am happy to be taking part in the book tour for The Tuttle Twins and the Miraculous Pencil by Connor Boyack. I read his first book, The Tuttle Twins Learn About the Law , and was blown away. So when I was asked to take part in this tour, I jumped right on board.

The Story- 
Twins Emily and Ethan are learning about the economy in school. To help the children better understand the entire process, their teacher takes the class on a field trip to a supply factory. At first the kids think it'll be boring, but then they learn that so much goes into the making of just one simple pencil, that it really is a miracle that one exists.

My Thoughts-
 Another score by Connor Boyack. This is a great book that takes a giant idea, the economy, and puts it into terms that  children can understand. It is not babyish either, it is right on grade level. At first I was confused by the premise that no one person can make a pencil, but as I read on I understood where the author was going. He explains that a pencil doesn't just pop into being, wood needs to be cut, graphite mined and metal melted. It all involves people around the world working together in harmony, not knowing what their product might end up being.

The end of the book has bonus info, including a glossary and a short bio on Leonard Read, whose essay, I, Pencil, inspired the book. Really good stuff. Of course, I can't forget the illustrations by Elijah Stanfield. He does a great job using bold colors and fun renderings. This is another must read. 4.5 stars!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like fun. I haven't read or recommended either of The Tuttle Twins titles but will take care of that soon. Thanks for the heads-up on this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of the Tuttle Twin books, but they are on my radar. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete