Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Midnight Runner by Marilee Jackson

Special mid-week review for everyone- Midnight Runner by Marilee Jackson.

The Story-
Moira looses her mother at an early age and is forced to be a house servant for an abusive couple. She endures for years  until she is old enough to runaway. Her journey doesn't go very far, in fact, just the next town over, but there she finds a welcome spot, love and a husband. Things seem to be perfect, until she finds out she's pregnant and runs away again. After ditching her baby, she travels to the city of nobles where she finds out that she is actually the daughter of a noble and has a jealous younger brother.

My Thoughts-
 I had a hard time writing a review for this novel. The story itself is nice and moves well. My issue is that there is no real plot line. What you have is the story of Moira's life, and it only goes up to a certain point and then jumps in the last chapters to her daughter Isobail.
 I also have mixed opinions about Moira. At first I really liked her, but then it is like she does a 180 and is someone new. I understood her fear of being a mother, but why leave her husband and then why leave her baby? Plus, after she finds out she is rich and powerful, why doesn't she go get her daughter? Also, the way she treats Brian is horrible and makes no sense. The poor man turns into an alcoholic slip of a man.

 The writing is well done and the characters certainly well developed, but  in some ways I feel this book is just a long prologue and the real story that holds the plot, tension and conflict are still coming.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I think I'll pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for participating my my blog tour. :)

    ReplyDelete