Monday, April 13, 2015

The Luck Uglies by Paul Durham


Welcome to MMGM! Today I am reviewing The Luck Uglies by Paul Durham.

The Story-
Rye O'Chanter is a young girl living in the village of Drowning. She lives with her mom and little sister Lottie. On the night of the Black Moon, Rye does the unthinkable, she leaves her house to sneak off to her best friend's home, the Dead Fish Inn. While scuttling about she comes across a monster long thought to be extinct, a Bog Noblin. Frightened, Rye runs, and only the magic of the necklace her mother gave her saves her life. But, what can she do for the rest of the villagers? A long time ago a secret organization, The Luck Uglies, saved her town from the Bog Noblins, but they are now considered outlaws and villains.

Rye begins hunting through clues from years past, and uncovers many secrets people wished would have remained buried. Soon, Rye begins to wonder, were The Luck Uglies really bad people or were they heroes? She desperately wants to save her people, but can she find away to bring back the long lost Luck Uglies?

My Thoughts-

This book is such a delight. I enjoyed the build up as Rye learns about The Luck Uglies and their true history. Even funner is the fact that Rye's mother knows the truth, but instead of telling her family, she uses old magic to keep them safe. Everything about the story pricked my imagination and urged me on. I couldn't put the book down.

Rye herself is a strong little girl that doesn't back down in a fight. She is brave and often chooses the unsafe path if it will bring about what is right. What fun to follow her adventures. She has two best friends, Quinn and Folly. They both are integral characters that compliment Rye and help her grow and find her path.

There is also a good strong theme of family. As Rye learns secrets about her own, you see the true depth people will go to for the ones they love. I really loved Folly's family. She is the only girl in a horde of boys, and they stick together no matter what.

A sweet read! 5 Stars!

8 comments:

  1. what an interesting title! it really grabs my attention and makes me want to open the covers and see what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun sounding adventure and one I haven't heard of. I really like the the inclusion of the family theme. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd never guess The Luck Uglies were the good guys from the title. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover! It reminds me of the Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell.This sounds like an intriguing adventure, and the theme of family is always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read THE LUCK UGLIES a while back and also enjoyed it.Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comments. I love to hear from my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the title. I love the cover. I really hope I get a chance to read this soon. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds interesting! Have to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete