Monday, June 29, 2015

Book Review- Hunters of Chaos by Crystal Velasquez

Don't forget to vote for my next book cover and the chance to win a $10 Amazon Code! Click Here.

Welcome to Middle Grade Monday! Today I am reviewing a new release from Aladdin Books, Hunters of Chaos by Crystal Velzaquez.

The Story-
Ana Cetzal has a wonderful life living with her aunt and uncle, but at the beginning of summer, an unexpected letter arrives bearing  a full scholarship to Temple Academy in New Mexico. Ana is surprised to learn that before her parent's died, they  started a trust fund for her to attend the same academy where they'd met as teenagers. Eager to see where her parents met, but feeling sad about leaving her aunt and uncle, Ana arrives at her new school with a mix of emotions.

Her feelings become even more confused as she is thrust into a school with rich, snooty girls and strange wacky weather. When others start blaming Ana for unnatural incidents, Ana discovers three other girls with similar backgrounds and all with the power to turn into a different wild cat. Soon, the four of them are fighting evil, ancient gods and battling the Brotherhood of Chaos.

My Thoughts-
I have to say that this book really reminds me of my own book, The Emerald Ring. So, if you like that type of fantasy, you'll like this book too. I found it fun that the author uses girls from different cultural backgrounds to represents four different wildcats: lion, jaguar, tiger and puma. Each girl has a different way of life and yet they are able to work well together.



The Brotherhood of Chaos and the evil god Anubis bring a fun spin to the story, especially the fact that they can inhabit human bodies and seem normal. I enjoyed getting into the history of the ancient civilizations and finding out about different artifacts. This is a straight forward story, but the author does a good job with the pace of action and of bringing out the tension. Young readers will find this a treat.  5 stars!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun fantasy adventure. I've added it to my list of future reads. Thanks for the heads-up on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I like the idea of using the four different wildcats to represent the different cultures. I will check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover! And to be honest, I've never been a fan of history, but this book sounds like it has the perfect little twist to it that makes it fun. Definitely checking this one out. :-)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. I'm always so excited to read them.

    ReplyDelete