Thursday, February 25, 2016

Author Interview with Best Selling YA author Kelly Oram

Welcome to YA Friday! I'm spending the weekend in Kanab, Utah at a writer's retreat with guest speaker, Kelly Oram. She is the best selling YA author of several series including V is for Virgin, Jamie Baker, and Supernatural. I had the chance to do a fun interview with her, so please enjoy.

Who was your favorite author growing up? Growing up I didn't read. I hated reading. I was slightly dyslexic and in school they pushed classics and I hated classics. My favorite author though is Meg Cabot.

Oh, what is your favorite Meg Cabot book? It's a toss up between the Mediator series and the 1-800 Where Are You series.

Besides your contemporary YA you've also done some sci-fi/paranormal. Was there a book that set you on that path? No, it was my dad. He was a big sci-fi geek. Always watching the syfy channel. I've seen every B flick and we were big Trekkie fans.


What do you wish you'd known before you started writing? That it's hard. That you need beta readers. There is so much wrong that you don't see until other people read it. Also, how important editing is. Be prepared to re-edit, re-edit, and re-edit.

Where would you go on your dream vacation? Brazil. I would love to see the rainforest, Rio, anything tropical. I'd love a little adventure. Maybe the world's largest zip line through the rainforest.

What is your favorite ice cream? Butter pecan.

Favorite TV show? Supernatural seasons 1-3 or Psych. I don't watch a lot of TV.

Favorite music? Alternative and punk rock.

Favorite movie? Diehard

Favorite drink? Diet Coke

Marvel or DC? Marvel.

Great, favorite Marvel character and why? Captain America because he's clean cut, down to earth, and almost realistic. I also like The Punisher because if I was in his shoes I would have done the same thing.

What is the next project your working on? If We Were Movie Stars. It is a clean, college romance that is part of the Matchmaker series with other authors. The book is a stand alone though. You don't need to have read the others in the series first. It comes out March 1 st.


That's so exciting! Will you be having a blog tour? Yes.

Awesome, then I'll get the scoop then. Any last minute advice? Read anything and everything. You learn a lot through osmosis.


Thanks Kelly! You can find out more at http://www.kellyoram.com/ and @kellyoram



No comments:

Post a Comment