Monday, June 6, 2016

The Arctic Code by Matthew Kirby


Welcome to one of my favorite days- Middle Grade Monday! Today I am sharing The Arctic Code by Matthew J Kirby.

The Story-
Eleanor Perry lives in the near future during an ice age that has covered the planet. She lives in Tucson, AZ with her uncle, while her mom, a scientist, is up north in the Arctic trying to uncover a way to stop the ice age from spreading. One day Eleanor gets a download from her mother containing secret files, the next day, her mom goes missing.

Eleanor refuses to think her mom is dead, and she stows away on a plane bound for Alaska. Making her way to her mother's research lab, she uses all her wits to keep from freezing and unlock her mother's secrets. However, a large corporation has taken over her mother's work, and they will do anything to find the source of energy that her mom discovered before she went missing.

My Thoughts-
I really enjoyed this book, mostly because it took be by surprise when the big secret about the freeze comes out at the end. It was not what I was thinking and adds a great sci-fi twist. Kids will enjoy reading about Eleanor and her bravery. From the get go she risks her life doing stunts other kids would avoid. So, when she heads off to the Arctic, the plot works. She is smart and determined, and able to discern the character of others.

Just reading about Eleanor's risks to save her mom make a great story, but the ending makes this book an even better one. Why? Because it opens up a whole other adventure and direction that makes your imagination soar. I'm giving this one 5 stars!

8 comments:

  1. This was on the Battle of the Books list one year. I should take another look at this-- I forgot the main character had my daughter's name. Have you ever done the 48 Hour Book Challenge? Interested in it for next year? Let me know!http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2016/06/sic-transit-gloria-mundi-48-hour-book.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never done the 48 hour book challenge. Sounds interesting.

      Delete
  2. This was on the Battle of the Books list one year. I should take another look at this-- I forgot the main character had my daughter's name. Have you ever done the 48 Hour Book Challenge? Interested in it for next year? Let me know!http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2016/06/sic-transit-gloria-mundi-48-hour-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cover, and the story sounds equally great. Thanks for sharing. I've added it to my list of future reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read a lot of SciFi but you make this one sound pretty intriguing. It sounds like it has a lot beyond the run-of-the-mill SciFi. I think I will check it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, didn't know it was sci-fi until the end.

      Delete
  5. I think my son might like this one too. Fortunately, my library has a copy. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really intriguing. It reminds me a little of First Light by Rebecca Stead. I love the science aspect and the Artic setting. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete