Saturday, October 29, 2016

PICTURE BOOK WEEK- Saturday

Gusto & Gecko Travel to New Orleans by Longy Han and illustrated by Elinor Hagg

The Story-
(blurb) Best friends Gusto and Gecko land in New Orleans ready to explore the unique city and feast on beignets [pronounced “ben-yay”]. But what happens when the two friends get separated, and Gusto ends up in the swamps surrounded by hungry alligators?

Along the way, readers discover historic landmarks and attractions in New Orleans, learn about the city’s traditional foods, and experience Super Bowl and Mardi Gras celebrations.

My Thoughts-
This book game to me at the request of the author and I gave it a looksie because it is about New Orleans, and my second book in The Cleopatra's Legacy Series, The Ruby Pendant, takes place there! The book is from Australia and can be bought from the author.

So, first off, I really enjoyed all the fun places in New Orleans that Gusto and Gecko travel. They travel through colorful New Orleans, meeting fortune tellers and traveling bands. It is a good overview of the city. Children will find it fun and learn something at the same time. The illustrations are fun and colorful and bring the city to life.

My critique? Well, I didn't know what sort of animals Gusto and Gecko were. They reminded me of playapii or maybe little dinosaurs. I also had to question why the fortune teller dropped off Gusto in the middle of an alligator filled swamp and waited for Gecko to save him, before taking them home.

Overall, it is a clever idea and I liked the historical aspects. A great book to give little children a peek into New Orleans life. 3.5 stars!

Buy it Now-
https://www.facebook.com/gustoandgecko

No comments:

Post a Comment