Wednesday, October 26, 2016

PICTURE BOOK WEEK- Wednesday

Be The Change- A Grandfather Gandhi Story by Arun Gandi and Bethany Hegedus, Illustrated by Evan Turk.

The Story-
(blurb)At Grandfather Gandhi’s service village, each day is filled, from sunrise to sunset, with work that is done for the good of all. The villagers vow to live simply and non-violently. Arun Gandhi tries very hard to follow these vows, but he struggles with one of the most important rules: not to waste.


How can throwing away a worn-down pencil hurt anyone? How can wastefulness lead to violence? With the help of his grandfather, Arun learns how every wasteful act, no matter how small, affects others. And in time he comes to understand the truth of his grandfather’s words: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”

My Thoughts-
This is a unique picture book with a moral. I enjoyed the idea of teaching the principles of Gandhi to a new generation. However, I do think that this PB wouldn't be understood well by little ones, I think the target audience should be at least Kindergarten ages and older.

The story is very in depth, with Arun trying to understand why throwing away a pencil stub would be considered a type of violence. At first, I didn't understand, but as Arun makes a tree that describes passive and physical violence, I began to understand. Luckily, he also spells it out at the end, allowing me not to guess if what I thought was also the author's intent. Of course, the best part is applying Gandhi's advice at the end, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

The illustrations are done in different mediums and then photographed to make the flat pages. However, because of the different textures, like fabric, cotton, and thread used to make the scenes, the flat pictures take on a 3-D feeling. In fact, my eleven year old came over while I was reading and immediately reached out to feel the page, thinking that it would feel fluffy. Well done by the illustrator!

This picture book is educational and one that causes deep insight. I give it 4 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment