Monday, November 21, 2016

The Kingdom of Oceana by Mitchell Charles


I've good a good one today for Middle-Grade Monday! It is The Kingdom of Oceana by Mitchell Charles.

The Story-
A long time ago, before Hawaii was known as Hawaii, Islanders lived on the island and had sacred beliefs. Young Prince Ailani and his older brother Nahoa trespass on an ancient burial ground and find a tiki mask that contains dark powers. Nahoa covets the masks, while Ailani resists it. The mask is left alone, but its evil has been awakened.

Ailani is training to find his spirit animal. During this time, his father the King takes Ailani and Nahoa to visit a neighboring Island where they meet Princess Momi, but there are secrets on the island, secrets breaking sacred vows.

Now a war between good and evil is rising and Ailani is caught in the middle of it. He must fight off cursed sea creatures and possessed people to fight against the magic of the tiki and save his island and the princess.

My Thoughts-
I really loved this book and I'm going to tell you right off that I'm giving it 5 stars! It was such a refreshing story full of new folklore and characters, for me at least. Readers will be captured by Ailani, a true hero with a heart of gold. He struggles to grow into his princehood and to stand up to a brother who is a tyrant. He is full of courage and fights for what he knows is true and just.

The other aspect I love is the setting. The islands are a wealth of treasure and literary fun. The people's life and traits are so different than ours that I soaked everything in, enjoying the diversity and culture. There was so much to see, it was a pleasure for the senses. The author also includes footnotes with definitions of island words.

I highly recommend this book to young readers. Adventure, magic, battles and young love- all in one amazing book.


6 comments:

  1. I've had this one on my TBR list for some time. Your review convinced me to push it right to the top. thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love folklores and I think they're so important to share with today's youth. Thank you for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely read this if I can find it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this book. I know you will too. Thanks for all the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always enjoyed stories about early Hawaii. This book would appeal to me. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds super fun! I could totally sea myself reading this! (Hahahahaha, that wasn't on porpoise I promise) ;) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete