Friday, February 10, 2017

My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris

Welcome to YA Friday! Today I am reviewing a "super" cool book, My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris.

The Story-
Cat Crawford is heading to Italy with her father and his very bubbly fiancée. Cat is a lover of art and has an unbridled passion for Michelangelo's David. What she doesn't love are the plans her step-mom-to-be is planning for a super sweet sixteen gala. While taking some time apart to tour Florence, Cat is drawn to the tent of a gypsy, and wonders of wonders, Cat is thrust back into the Sixteenth Century to learn a lesson that will help her in her present life.

In the past, she finds herself taking the place of a distant relative on her mom's side. As an orphan, she has been sent to live with her aunt and uncle and her two cousins, Alessandra and Cipriano. As she adjusts to the new setting, she meets super cute Lorenzo, and he steals her heart.

However, Lorenzo is just becoming a man, and to Cat's aunt and uncle, he is unsuitable for marriage. Instead, they want her to marry a much older man, Niccolo, and inherit his name and prestige. Suddenly Cat realizes that the drama of having a sweet sixteen party is nothing compared to what she would have faced if she had lived during the Renaissance and had been forced into an arranged marriage. Now, she only has to figure out how to keep Lorenzo's love and return to her own time.

My Thoughts-

A very cool book that had me reading straight from beginning to end. I loved everything about it, from the colorful setting in Italy to the details of life in the Renaissance. The author does a great job making everything fit smoothly.

And who can resist a budding, hot romance? Not Cat. The situation between Lorenzo and Cat is page turning, and as the reader, you don't know how things will turn out. What decision will Cat make? Great tension and pacing to this situation.

Now, when I first read the book I thought it was a stand alone, but that is blown open in the last chapter. I am excited to find out what happens to Alessandra. I have one  pet peeve and it involves a spoiler.
****SPOILER***** Okay, I have a thing about romance time travel books that drives me insane and the ending of this book sets up this situation. I hate it when a character goes into the past, falls in love and then has to return to the future leaving her love behind. For some reason, author's try to solve this problem by having the main character meet one of their love's descendants when they return to the future and of course, the main character hooks up with the descendant and all is well. NOT. I hate that. Her love of the past, the one you've been reading about and gotten to know, is not the same as the descendant in the future, even if they look exactly alike. Sigh. This book ends with a descendant, however I was unable to tell if it was Lorenzo come to the future or a true descendant. Time will tell.

Anyhow, that is my only criticism and it might not even come into play. So overall, I'm giving this read 5 stars!


1 comment:

  1. Netgalley has Stanton's Waking in Time which I adored-- and not just because the main character was starting college (like my daughter) and traveled back in time to 1983 (when I started college!). There was even a grandmother who was in college at about the same time my mother was. LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete